Monday, June 8, 2009

no pain no gain




It's no surprise that I do everything in my power to avoid pain. In high school, I participated in the low impact sports of track and crew. If an opportunity for conflict erupted from an aggressive classmate, I negotiated a cease fire, made strategic alliances with older kids (and hot girls), and just played Switzerland. My idea of rough housing was climbing trees and seeing how long I could ignore my mother's pleas to come down for dinner. 

I knew one misstep could send me to the emergency room. That's where pain is celebrated for its most traumatizing achievements. Pain gets accolades when you receive a cast on your foot, crutches to bear your weight on, and unlimited hours of daytime television. The only perk is that you get your cast signed by the cute boy that you really wanted to become "friends" with, but of course he's absent that day or rather he's the one person that doesn't care about your accident. 

Anyway, I figured I take extra precautions in my ascent to the top of the tree. Double check each branch to see if it could handle your weight. Know that the limit comes before the sky so never reach too high. Should have taken my eight year old advice when I was barreling down Tasker Avenue on my bike in pursuit to make it home in record time from god-knows-where- at-4 am. Sadly, I didn't make it across Passyunk and ended up in that damn emergency room. Pain had finally conquered me. 

I was surprised to learn that pain was a lot smarter than I ever gave it credit. It's not the dog you yell "OW" at when it bites you in the leg. Severe pain doesn't strike upon impact, but it likes to assess the damages and test out a few bruises and fractures. Before it seeps into your consciousness, pain's more compassionate, yet distant cousin adrenaline barges in to provide initial support that prepares you for what's next.

Pain is spoken on a scale from 1-10 with doctors and nurses. If you can utter, " a sharp 8 with increasing potential for a 9," that will guarantee you a four day post-op hospital stay with morphine drip on the house. The metal rod now permanently lodging in your leg will activate a steady 7 for a good week. When you are speaking in 5s and 6s, you are sent home with a goodie bag of Percocet and Vicodin. You make up modifiers to get your point across for anything below a 3. This works well in physical therapy when the Jane Fonda leg lifting causes you to a have a slight but achy 2, which excuses you from completing the ridiculous exercise.  

However, when reach those levels, your time for easy sympathy is running low along with your stash of pain pills. Pretty soon everyone will want you to quit your whining, learn how to walk again, and get back to work. At least I can count on the isolated 2-and-3 level pain to check in through the metal rod to let me know a storm is a-brewing. 


  


No comments:

Post a Comment